Wednesday, March 6, 2013

About the gate codes

Positively Palermo received this e-mail about the entrance gate: "Dear Palermo HOA Board Members. Ownership and Managing Agent: I have lived here at Palermo for a little over two years, maybe even three. I currently rent, although I would gladly purchase if my unit should ever come available. Obviously with that said, I enjoy living here very much. I am writing with a suggestion that would benefit everyone living here. I am hopeful someone will read what I have to say and take action or submit my same concerns to the board and/or membership for consideration. Since living here the access code or password for entry onto this property has remained the same. I don’t know about you, but I have been very cautious about giving that password to others, but on rare occasion, I have had to do so. And thus a small handful of people over the course of a couple of years have been given that number. And for whatever reason, most of those folks I gave it to are no longer either working for me or should not have unlimited, unannounced access to this property. Just think of the number of short term renters (vacationing folks) and residents who have since sold or no longer live or lease here. And yet each of them still have complete access to getting on the property. And then multiply that number by the number of people who live here currently and may have given that password to others, all with the best intentions. Having lived at other similar gated communities where such entry onto the property comes about because of the use a entry code system, routinely, usually annually or more often, the universal entry code is changed to protect those living here where former persons need not enter unless buzzed in. My request to the management and the board of directors is to routinely and hopefully immediately schedule a new password/code for entry onto the property. And delete the current password (s). Obviously, everyone who has a password or code would also need to be changed. And thus complete new numbers should be issued. There was once discussion about each unit owner or renter being given a pass code for access that related to their unit number. Whatever is in place still does not negate the fact that the access codes are the same and nothing has been changed for years. I hope whoever reads this knows the best person(s) to call and if need be, place this topic on the discussion board for the next meeting of the association. I am grateful for this matter be considered for the benefit of everyone living here. Again as a non-owner, my vote with the HOA doesn’t count it’s yours that matters, so if you agree, please try and help. Respectfully submitted by C ....: Miss Penny Lane says: Thanks for the e-mail.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is an excellent suggestion.

Anonymous said...

What we need is to have permanent entry codes for residents to use (and not give to anyone) and temporary ones sent to us via email (which are refreshed every month or so).

Anonymous said...

Excellent proposal. Given that there are permanent residents both owners and renters, snowbirds, some vacation rentals, there are probably a variety of needs. For example, for vacation rentals, it should be possible to get a code that expires automatically at the end of the rental. Individuals should be able to change their code at any time if they feel it may have been compromised. Ideally all of this could be done online at the Euclid web site. No doubt Euclid has seen such needs at other properties they manage and and could discuss what it would take to implement such mechanisms, how to accomodate UPS, etc.

Anonymous said...

How do you stop somebody from giving away there code???? No possible. Code should be switched for everybody ever so often like every week.

Anonymous said...

As an owner with tenants, all you have to do is call Euclid Management to delete previous codes or change your own code. I have my own personal code, which has been the same since I bought the property, and my tenant has a different code. Every time, I replace a tenant with a new tenant, I have Euclid delete their previous code & issue a new code for my new tenant. As far as I know, there is no such "universal" code. Vendors like UPS, Garbage, etc. all have their own specific codes, just like each owner. As a non-owner, you should contact your property management and have them change it for you. It literally takes less than 24 hours.

Anonymous said...

To 2:12, yes, please follow his/her advice if you rent out. We on Sandy Pt. have just a terrible issue with this. Changing up the code every week is a good suggestion by way of email. To say you can give someone the code a keep it to themselves like an owner just will not work over time.

Anonymous said...

I am trying to get a refi and my lender wants a copy of the CC&Rs and Bylaws. Unfortunately Euclid wants $50 even to EMAIL ME A COPY OF THESE, and they don't take credit cards, so this is going to delay my refi by several days. Euclid also claims that the Board did not want these documents to be on their website for some reason. Is this true? Why would the Board want to make it so difficult and expensive for homeowners to get copies of the documents we wrote??

Anonymous said...

Such a real idea to switch these codes up. Just do it.

Anonymous said...

In regards to the gate, It would be wise to have more security lights at the entrance.

Anonymous said...

Change the codes once a week by way of email. Encourage people to use their remote devices as well.

Anonymous said...

Once a week would be a hassle. Once a month would be good, even once every three months, as I've been forced to do at work with logins to the company network. Make the change on a random day instead of the first of the month, the 10th perhaps.

Anonymous said...

the remotes are great, when they work! i've been here for 3 years it works intermittently. i've changed the batteries several time. most of the time I just have to use the code, or sit at the gate clicking for 5 minutes. does anyone else have this issue?

Anonymous said...

To 1:27 March 7th. I couldn't disagree with you more. The current board has been more than helpful. Every request I have made of this board has been considered and responded to. From what I understand, they have saved us a lot of money and continue to look for ways to improve the community while saving money.

If you are unhappy with the board, there are 3 positions open the end of the year. I have heard that none of the current board members want to continue with abuse such as your comments. I praise the current board and tell them in person every time I see one of them. I think they are doing a great job and I would not want to be in their shoes. So please, either run for the board or stop complaining. It's people like you that make no one want to be on a board.

Anonymous said...

to the 1:10 comment. I too have been here for about three years and I have the same on and off issue of the remote working. I think it is because the receptor on the gate gets dirty and blocks the signal. I usually just use my code. Less agravation :) As for changing the code everymonth, I think that would be a nightmare. That being said would be good to change them once in a while.

Anonymous said...

Change the codes regularly, like weekly or maybe monthly. A guy cane to work on the remote box and mine works swell now after I told the board.

Anonymous said...

It makes no sense in changing the gate code when we have half the property surrounded by movable construction fences. What a joke a gate is.

The place looks like a dump from the street. Why don't they complete the wall and sell the land to a builder to complete.

Anonymous said...

@4:47 what planet r u on? All the effort in last year or so has been to get an investor willing to buy the foreclosed development with a view to future completion. That has happened, there are plans in place to finish the perimeter wall. As to building homes in the unfinished space that is obviously dependent on the overall housing market.

Anonymous said...

Please do change the gate codes ---- once a month or so is good. I don't really want the vacant area built up any time soon as I do like the peace and quiet of the open space but progress will come I guess but why scream for more density up here? I do thank the management for keeping this community so nice and safe and "friendly" too as well. I rent, but love it here and want to buy in. Oh, the the "Place" looks great, when I go to these other condo places in Palm Springs and see the disrespect for the places it makes me smile to come home here to Palermo.

Anonymous said...

We have a very unique property here and it has a very "cozy" feel to it.

Anonymous said...

To 4:33. Agree with it. I also agree with the code switch up. Let us be proactive as a community people! Cozy is the word!

colin fisher blog said...

Well, its been a long while since this suggestion was submitted, six months to be exact. 85-90% of the 20 comments made regarding his suggestion to change the gate cod from time to time also agree.

So what's the problem? I'll tell you, the management team who if they read the blog would bring the suggestion up to the board or place it on the agenda. And the disappointing issue here besides security and everyone's having peace of mind. Both the board and management folks can't get there act together and do nothing. Because if so many agree, which naturally so do I. Then why has nothing happened towards changing the passcode?